Marble is a beautiful, natural, versatile stone that you can use for countertops, floors, walls, fireplaces, and more. When choosing marble, keep in mind that it might be higher maintenance and pricier than other stones, but it is worth the investment.
Why Choose Marble?
With so many options of natural and manufactured materials on the market, why should you choose marble? For all of its luxurious beauty, marble has a reputation of being high maintenance, easy to scratch, and susceptible to staining and oxidation. But there are so many benefits to marble that make it worthwhile.
1. It has a distinct and unique style that gives off an unparalleled look of opulence. Though there are many man-made look-alike materials, they don’t have the same degree of class as genuine marble.
2. Marble is one of the most heat-resistant stones used in home design. With marble countertops in the kitchen, you can put hot pots and food directly on the counter and not worry that the heat will damage or melt it. Its high heat resistance also makes it a popular and beautiful option for fireplaces and kitchen backsplashes.
3. It is durable and shatter resistant. Unlike some other stones, marble doesn’t crack easily, and when you install it properly, it will last for generations.
4. Marble has superb insulation properties and will retain its coolness or warmth. Install it on the floors or walls, and you may save on home heating and cooling costs.
5. You can take your worries about high maintenance off the table. You can seal the marble, which will protect it from stains, and finish it with a honed finish that will hide any scratches.
6. Marble increases the value of your home. Although you should furnish your home to reflect your tastes and not the resale market, if you’re on the fence between two materials, this could sway you. Marble’s aesthetics and luxury always raise the value of a property.
What to Look for When Choosing Marble
Now that we’ve gone over the benefits of adding marble to your home, let’s break down the factors that will influence your marble purchase: the color/pattern, the finish, and the absorption rate.
1. Select a Marble Pattern
There are so many beautiful varieties of marble colors and designs. Marble comes in a vast range of colors, including black, white, pink, brown, green, red, grey, and gold. Select a color that coordinates with the rest of your room’s interior. For kitchen countertops, a light-colored marble contrasts nicely with dark cabinets.
Choosing marble doesn’t stop with selecting the color. Because marble is a natural stone, each slab is unique and has different lines, or veining, running through the stone. You will want to choose the exact marble slab from the stone yard to ensure that you’re satisfied with its veining and color shades.
2. Decide the Type of Finish You Want
The finish completes the look of the stone and gives it the vibe that you want.
Polished Finish: A polished finish gives the marble a reflective high-gloss polish and emits a feeling of luxury. It is the most popular finish and, with the proper care, can last many years. It is a durable finish and will not stain as easily as other finishes, making it a good choice for countertops, backsplashes, or walls. Because scratches will be more prominent on its gloss, it’s not a good finishing choice for floors.
Honed Finish: Honed marble is a matte finish and gives off a more casual look than the polished finish. Because honed marble is better at resisting and hiding scratches, it is an excellent choice for floors.
Tumbled Marble Finish: Also known as “antiqued,” this finish gives the marble a distressed, old-world vibe. The marble is rubbed with sand or grit to make it appear antique.
3. Absorption Rate
Marble is naturally porous, which means that materials can seep into the stone and stain it. While it’s not as porous as some other stones, if a liquid sits on the marble for long enough, it will get absorbed and stain the stone. Fortunately, you can protect the marble with a sealant, a solution of resin mixed with a water-based solvent, which will plug up the marble’s pores.
Marble is a beautiful, classic stone that you can use throughout your home. When choosing marble, there are so many colors and design options, and you can further customize it to your taste with the finish. Marble can be costly, so protect and maintain it to make it last a long, long time. At Lopsang Construction Service, we make sure your marble is cut and installed correctly and make the visions of your home design come true.